What Is Headlight Restoration?
Headlight restoration is an auto detailing service where your yellowing, cloudy headlights are brought back to near-new condition. The best solution to restore headlights is regular checkups from a headlight polishing car detailer who can tell you when you need a more in-depth headlight restoration.
It’s recommended that when you make an appointment for a car wash and wax or car seat shampoo, you also include a headlight restoration service. The auto detailing and cleaning experts at Waxman of Tristate Car Detailing Center offer a wide range of services including everything from wheel restoration and repair to commercial car wrapping and headlight restoration in Jersey City. For all your interior and exterior detailing needs, the expert team at Waxman is always ready.
What Does Oxidation Mean for Headlights?
Oxidation is a chemical process because headlight lenses are made from polycarbonate plastic. While durable against most wear and tear, the chemical composition of the plastic changes when exposed to UV rays. The headlight lenses develop microscopic cracks that lead to yellowing and cloudiness.
If your headlights aren’t clear and maintained correctly, you could drive with just 20 percent visibility. Other reasons you need a headlight restoration service include:
- Road wear and tear. Debris like small stones, sand, grit, and dirt scratch the lenses and get into cracks and niches of the headlights.
- Pollution. Exposure to the elements takes a toll on headlight lenses.
- Condensation. Droplets of water inside the lightbox are a common issue in cooler weather.
Are There Different Types of Headlight Restoration?
Headlights help you see the road, impending road obstructions, and other vehicles and pedestrians during low visibility. According to a headlights expert from the University of Michigan, 2,500 accident cases happen every night per year, many due to failing headlights.
While it’s great to have your vehicle look good with clear, like-new headlight lenses, along with wheel repair and engine detailing, well-maintained headlights safeguard your life. The type of restoration you need is dependent solely on the condition of your headlights and if they need:
- Light restoration. The oxidation or yellowing of the headlights requires only a single liquid system. The process is fast and is done by hand to get the best results.
- Moderate restoration. A machine application is needed to first clean the headlights and then specialized microfiber pads are used for the polishing. The process takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Severe restoration. This involves a more intensive restorative process that includes sanding, compounding, polishing and finally applying ceramic wax with UV protection properties.
Your headlight restoration work should last between four and six months. The cost of the headlight restoration services could start as low as $100. This, however, depends on the condition of your headlights and what other types of detailing services you’re getting at the time.
Why Is Professional Headlight Restoration Important?
You could try to save some money and restore your messy-looking headlights — and then do it repeatedly every few weeks. Or you could choose a headlight restoration service like Waxman to receive the many benefits of professional, top-grade detailing, such as:
- Avoiding the need to buy new headlights, which are costly
- Gaining back 80 to 90 percent headlight visibility
- Looking good by having your headlights look as new as the rest of your ride
- Improving the resale value of your vehicle when it looks as though it’s been well taken care of
- Saving money on aftermarket lenses, which may be slightly more affordable than new, but don’t always fit your headlight sockets snugly, leading to moisture seepage
Only the industry’s best techniques and products like the ceramic coating infused with UV protection are used by the experts at Waxman. You may even decide to up the aesthetics by adding Chrome delete or powder coating rims. Contact Waxman of Tristate Car Detailing Center today to get the best headlight restoration and other detailing services in town.